Our candidates are immediately available, exclusively registered and often personally referred office support professionals. Our candidates are hardworking, highly skilled, bright, adaptable, positive and have that "can-do" attitude.

At Australasian Recruitment Company we have walked in your shoes and we know what it is like to start your career in London. We can offer you assistance or advice on tasks such as opening a bank account, housing assistance, taxation and National Insurance information. We will also offer you assistance with tailoring your CV for the London market and our software training facility can keep you up-to-date with new Microsoft Office technology.

We engender candidate loyaly by fostering a career-orientated, consultative approach and we often place and re-place candidates throughout their careers in London.


Are you thinking of moving to London?

London is.... bold!
      London is.... fast!
           London is... the future!
                 London is.... not for the unprepared!

Are you thinking of making the amazing move to London? Here are some things to think about to ensure you hit the ground running when you land.


The first step is to ensure you obtain your right to work in the UK. For detailed information on visas and immigration please refer to the GOV.UK website, but here is some basic guidance on the more common visas that are used:

British Passport
If you are lucky enough to obtain a British passort then you do not need to worry about a visa and you are eligible to work in the UK for an unlimited amount of time.

Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) Visa
Also known as a Tier 5 visa, this visa allows you to live and work in the UK for up to two years. You can apply for a YMS visa if you are aged between 18 and 30.

Ancestry Visa
You can apply for this visa if you have a grandparent who was born in the UK and this visa allows you to live and work in the UK for up to five years.

Setting up a bank account can be one of the more frustrating tasks when setting up your London life. If you are registered with Australasian Recruitment Company we can provide you with a letter of confirmation if the bank requires it. If you can open an account before moving to London this can save you a lot of headaches and some banks have a partnership with London-based banks. When opening an account in London make sure you have as much documentation with you as possible including; passport, utility bill, proof of employment and a reference from your bank back home.

Make sure your travel insurance covers you for both while you are travelling to the UK and for the first couple of months in case anything happens. Once you are based in the UK there are many travel insurance companies that can cover you for your European travel adventures at a low cost, or it can be arranged through your bank.

Be sure to take copies of ALL your travel documentation including your passport, visa, flight tickets, insurance policy and any other valuable documentation.  Keep copies at home and also take some with you, this can save a lot of time and hassle in the event of stolen or lost documents.

London is a suited and booted city! We would recommend packing a couple of suits to get you started when you arrive. You will be expected to be corporately presented when interviewing with recruitment agencies as they will need to see how you will present yourself to their clients. Once you are in London you can pick up a cheap suit from Primark or H&M to get your corporate wardrobe kick-started.

It is a good idea to have some money changed into Pounds Sterling (£) before you arrive as you will need to purchase an Oyster Card when you land in order to travel on the tube. Check out our general price guide on our full website which you can use as a guideline so you know what you can expect to pay while living in London.

It is best to wait until you arrive in the UK to start your search for somewhere to live. Be warned that rent in London can be very high! This is why many people live in house shares when they arrive in the city. When you arrive you will most likely base yourself in a hostel or on a friend's couch until you find your new home. Living in a houseshare in London can be a great way to meet new people and can be a lot of fun!

You will need to obtain a National Insurance Number while working in the UK for taxation purposes. To apply for a National Insurance Number visit the GOV.UK website to start the process. You will need your passport, proof of address in the UK, evidence of work in the UK or evidence that you are in the process of looking for work. You can start work before you have received your National Insurance Number and you are not taxed at a higher tax rate for not having one.

Most workers in the UK receive an annual tax free allowance which is calculated on a weekly basis, this amount changes with each new tax year but you can expect to pay 20% tax on any earnings above the weekly tax-free threshold. Another amount that is deducted from your pay is Employee's National Insurance Contribtions which are around 12% of your earnings above the weekly NI-free threshold.

Recently the government introduced automatic enrolment into a UK pension fund which means that while working in the UK you may find that you are enrolled into a pension fund and deductions are taken from your pay. You have every right to opt-out if you should choose to do so, or you can remain enrolled in the pension fund.

For more hints and tips why not check out our blog?