Which Job Shall I Take?!
As a leading recruitment agency in London, it is hard to recall a time when the market has been so positive for job seekers! Employers are constantly on the hunt for talented business support professionals with the skills and experience they need which means candidates have a lot of choice when it comes to which role to take.
The demand and number of available jobs for business support roles in London is as high as it has been for years, but the number of people keen, available, and suitably skilled to do those jobs and meet that demand is missing. Why is that?
Demand for qualified staff has increased across almost every sector in the UK jobs market meaning candidates have their pick of careers. Those organisations who can offer the best benefits and working practices are more popular than those who can’t. Increased employment regulations and a drop-off in the number of European candidates choosing to relocate to the UK has left several industries scrambling for qualified staff and rising living costs have meant many potential candidates are choosing stability over a job change.
The bottom line in London recruitment news is this: if you are someone who is looking for business support work right now (and if you’re not, maybe now is the time to reconsider), the chances are that you will have a great deal of choice, and that you may have a decision to make over which role, or potentially several roles, to take – what a wonderful “problem” to have!
Here’s how to choose the right role for you:
- Write down your motivations and key career goals before you start looking (or if applicable do it now, it’s never too late) – refer back to them to help guide you when it comes to decision time
- This could be your opportunity to change sector. If you have worked in one sector for a long time and want to move, now is a great time to go for it. Perhaps you want to get into Technology or Renewable Energy – these sectors are growing and are willing to look outside of their usual channels to attract business support talent in a severely talent-short environment
- It’s not all about the money. It can be tempting to go for the highest paid offer but don’t forget what the people and the culture are like that you’ll be joining, the role you wanted to do, and the personal development and career growth path that is more likely to become available to you if you join one company over another
- And closely related to the above… it is often not about the money or the job title on Day 1. It is more about how happy you will be and how you can progress your business support career over time at your new company. You will gravitate to the right role and the right salary faster than you might think if you join the right company to start with
- And finally – ask your trusted advisers – people who want the best for you whether they be friends, family or professionals who have your best interests at heart. One of our favourite calls we receive at Australasian Recruitment Company is candidates asking for career advice when they are at that crossroads moment. We get to offer you completely objective advice with you at its heart!
At Australasian we have an overview of the whole London market, so we often know the companies, sectors, and the business support opportunities available. We also know you. We are highly skilled at helping you find the right match for you, after all, one of our core values is: “it’s not about us, it’s about you.” We live that value for your benefit – so make that call when the time comes, and we’ll do all we can to help you make the right choice. The candidate-short market may not last forever, so strike while you can!
If you are a candidate looking to take your next career step, or a hiring manager looking for your next business support team member in London, please contact us at ARC so we can help you with your search on 0207 625 3300 or email@example.com